When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my Lambs.” A second time he said to him, &lqduo;Simon son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” And he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep” [John 21.15-17].
Bishop Henry chose this Bible passage as the guide to pastor the people in the Diocese of Calgary. He does it with compassion, love and care and is determined to be an example to others. He was and is never afraid to face and speak the truth defending Catholic dogma, values, and traditions, just as it is expected of a good leader. There are those who accept that truth, and then there are those who do not and act accordingly. If we look at the life of Jesus on earth we can see the parallels. Having said that, I would like you to reflect on the role of a bishop.
Fill in the missing words to complete the sentences (answers below*):
- The bishop is the head of the ______________
- On his head he wears a ______________
- In his hand he holds a ______________
- His “home” church is usually the ______________
- He is an authentic successor of the ______________
- The bishop of an archdiocese is called ______________ Reflection Questions:
- Who chooses a bishop from among the priests?
- What are the responsibilities of a bishop?
- Name the holy sacraments that are administered by the bishop.
- Which of those sacraments can be administered by the priest with the bishop’s permission?
- What is the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB: www.cccb.ca)?
- Who is the current president of the CCCB? Family Activities:
- Explain the role of a bishop to your children in words they can understand.
- Tell your children how to recognize a bishop. What does he wear when celebrating Mass?
- Encourage your children to draw a picture of a bishop.
- What was the name of the bishop who confirmed you?
- Look at photographs of each confirmed family member, remember, and talk about what made those days special!
LET US GIVE THANKS IN PRAYER
Let us pray in thanksgiving for Bishop Henry
who led us for many years through trying times
when the spirit of the world threatened Christian values.
May the presence of the Holy Spirit
be his source of strength,
and may he continue to be an inspiring example
of defending these values.
May the Lord, our God, protect him
and may he experience peace and happiness
in his retirement.
*Diocese, Mitre, Crozier, Cathedral, Apostles, and Archbishop