ROMAN CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF CALGARY
Christmas Mass Schedule in the Diocese of Calgary
Find a Christmas Mass time around the Diocese of Calgary and celebrate the birth of Christ with your local community.
REJOICE IN GOD'S MERCY - ADVENT 2017
The Diocese of Calgary invites you to experience the peace, love, and joy brought by participating in the sacrament of reconciliation. In addition to the regular parish schedule, the sacrament of Reconciliation will be available at parishes throughout the Diocese of Calgary all the Wednesdays of Advent from 7:30 – 8:30pm.
BISHOP MCGRATTAN'S LITURGICAL CALENDAR
Bishop McGrattan's diocesan liturgical calendar is now available. A link to the calendar will be maintained on the Office of Liturgy webpage. Note that the schedule is subject to change.
SPECIAL NEEDS MINISTRY AND MASS
St. Patrick’s Parish, Calgary is forming a new ministry whose mission is: “To create a loving, supportive and compassionate church community that renews and restores faith and hope to families and children living with special needs.” We recognize that for families who have children who live with special needs: physical, cognitive or emotional, bringing them to Mass may be a challenge. Our Special Needs Mass will be a place of understanding, acceptance and welcome for those who live with special needs as well as those who care for them. This Mass will give families an opportunity to celebrate God's presence in their lives together. Children and adults with special needs will be filling as many liturgy positions as possible. All are invited to come and to be a part of this special liturgy.
- Next Special Needs Ministry Mass: January 28, February 25, March 25, April 22, May 27 and June 24, 2018.
- For more information, please contact Brenda-Lee-Kearney at 403-835-2749 or email email@example.com
LIVING NATIVITY at St. JAMES' PARISH - DEC 16
Please join us for a moment of spiritual reflection in preparation for the birth of Jesus. St. James Parish in Okotoks is building the Town of Bethlehem in the field next to the church. There, you will see real people interacting in elements of that time; a bakery, a pottery booth, a wine shop, a spice shop, a wool shop, an inn, a prison, a Roman Solider hut (with real horses), a carpenter’s workshop, a blacksmith, a tax collector’s office, a candle shop, shepherds, and a stable with the Holy Family. There will also be choirs singing carols to add to the festivities. Food and beverages will be available for a small price, and donations will be accepted to help cover the costs of the event. Mass will be celebrated at 5:30pm. Invite your family & friends, and follow the signs to the “Town of Bethlehem” to join us for an evening of fellowship and spirituality. This event will be held on Saturday, December 16, 2017 from 4 pm to 9 pm at St. James Church (338060-32nd Street East, Okotoks, Alberta).
- For more information or questions call the St. Jame's Parish office at 403-938-3122.
DEREK REMUS' ORDINATION TO TRANSITIONAL DIACONATE - DEC 23
Mr. Derek Remus has been called to Holy Orders and will be ordained to the Transitional Diaconate by Most Rev. William McGrattan in his pastoral year parish, St. Bonaventure, Calgary, at 5 PM on Saturday, December 23, 2017.
- To set an event reminder, please check out this page.
DIOCESAN PASTORAL CARE COURSE IN LETHBRIDGE - JAN 20
St. Martha's Parish in Lethbridge (355 Columbia Blvd.) will be hosting a Diocesan Pastoral Care Course on Saturday January 20 and Saturday January 27, 2018 from 9:30 am - 3:30 pm. This course will introduce you to the basic visiting skills required for Pastoral Care Ministry in the health care facilities or parish. Registration fee: $30, payable at the door.
- For more information and to register, call the Parish Office 403- 381-8884, or e-mail Mary Gruber: firstname.lastname@example.org
ST. FRANCIS XAVIER'S RELIC PILGRIMAGE - JAN 21 & 22
The relic pilgrimage is a gift for the Church in Canada at the close of our 150th anniversary year, bringing the famous relic of St. Francis Xavier to North America for the first time in generations. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to venerate the incorrupt first class relic of one of the greatest missionaries and evangelists since St. Paul the Apostle.
- The relic will be at Sacred Heart Church on January 21, and at St. Michael's Church on January 22.
- For more information about the relic and detailed event schedule in the Diocese of Calgary, visit: https://cco.ca/relic/
CATECHESIS OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD - JAN 13
There will be a Diocesan Workshop on the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd on Saturday January 13 from 9 am to Noon at Canadian Martyrs Parish, Calgary. Dorothy Burns, former Director of Religious Education for Christ the Redeemer Catholic Schools in Okotoks and Paula Sabatini, Catechist for the Good Shepherd Catechesis at Canadian Martyrs Parish will break open this amazing pedagogical method of teaching our children the Faith, which was created by Montessori Educator Gianna Gobi. The morning will also include an opportunity to spend time in the “Atrium”, a sacred space created for young children to learn about their faith in a very tactile and experiential way.
- To Register call Alicia at 403-218-5501 or email: email@example.com
TRANSITIONS - FEB 14
Transitions is a 15-week peer support program for those recently separated or divorced. Participants will meet every week to reflect upon and discuss topics such as self-esteem, stress, anger, guilt, blame, loneliness, forgiveness, blended families and more. The next program begins Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
- For more information or to register, contact Alida Allen at 403-218-5505 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here for online registration.
EFFECTIVE CO-PARENTING: PUTTING KIDS FIRST - FEB 21
An educational 5-week program for separated and divorced parents to help raise their children through this difficult time and increase the understanding of needs of children for developing self-esteem and security. It will offer skills to help manage diverse shared parenting situations and provide strategies to improve communication, resolve conflict, and manage day-to-day issues between parenting partners. Parents are encouraged to attend separately. The next program will run 7:00pm - 9:00pm in the fall of 2017.
- For more information or registration, contact Alida Allen at 403-218-5505 or email: email@example.com
- Click here for online registration
- More information about Separation and Divorce Ministry.
PROJECT RACHEL POST ABORTION WEEKEND RETREAT - FEB 23-24
The retreat offers a journey of healing and reconciliation for women and men who are suffering from a past abortion experience. Trained certified counselors are available to accompany people on a journey toward hope and inner peace. The next retreat is scheduled for February 23 - 24, 2018.
- For more information or to register call Project Rachel at 403-218-5506 or toll free at 1-877-597-3223. You may also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
COLDEST NIGHT OF THE YEAR - FEB 24
It's our fifth birthday! Coldest Night of the Year - Calgary will turn five this February 24, 2018. We'd love to have you celebrate with us by walking or volunteering in support of Feed the Hungry (a Diocesan program) and our friends KAIROS Calgary as they work to pay down the mortgage on Bankview Apartments (affordable housing). We'll be starting from Eau Claire Market again this year, offering 2, 5 and 10 km routes so the event is accessible for all.
- For more info visit www.cnoy.org/calgary or connect with Samantha at 403-218-5531 or e-mail email@example.com.
MAY PEACE BE WITH HER
The Development & Peace Fall Campaign's theme this year is "May Peace be with Her", focuses on women's role in building peace. All around the world, courageous women gather to fight and resist violence, working for a more peaceful world. When 35% of parliamentarians are women, the risk of a nation relapsing into conflict is near zero. Let us join our voices and ask the Canadian government to give women the resources they need in order to take their place at the heart of peacebuilding.
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: RECEPTIONIST & ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT FOR THE CATHOLIC PASTORAL CENTRE
The Calgary Catholic Pastoral Centre invites applications for the position of Receptionist & Administrative Assistant – Business Office. The Receptionist is responsible for a wide variety of clerical and administrative office duties in support of the Catholic Pastoral Centre offices and administration. Receptionist duties include, but are not limited to greeting and screening visitors, answering and referring inbound telephone calls and emails to the appropriate office/personnel, handling incoming and outgoing courier services, processing the outgoing mail by post and/or parish mail out, booking meeting rooms and maintaining the visitor parking register. If you are interested, please apply.
- For more information about this position, qualifications and application details see the Diocesan website at http://www.calgarydiocese.ca/articles/employment-opportunities.html.
- The employment opportunity will be posted until the competition closes on December 21, 2017 at 4:30 PM. Candidates that are short listed will be contacted for interviews by mid-January.
MARRIAGE PREPARATION "FOR BETTER & FOR EVER"
“For Better & For Ever…” Marriage Preparation, accepts all couples preparing for marriage. Due to the small group setting it allows us to focus on couples in one or more of the following circumstances: living together, previously married, beginning marriage with children, couples 45+, or those who wish to have their marriage blessed in the Church.
- For more dates, registration or information, contact 403-218-5505 or e-mail the LFRC Centre.
- Register Online Here
PROJECT RACHEL POST ABORTION COUNSELLING
The ministry offers a journey of healing and reconciliation for women and men who are suffering distress from a past abortion experience. Clients will be referred to a professional counselor who specializes in dealing with the trauma associated with this experience.
- For more information call Project Rachel at 403-218-5506 or toll free at 1-877-597-3223. You may also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Go to Project Rachel's Website
OUR LADY OF THE ROCKIES - DIOCESAN MARIAN SHRINE
Our Lady of the Rockies Parish in Canmore is now designated as a Diocesan Marian Shrine. This will take effect on the day of the consecration of the new church building in the spring 2019.
- See video of the announcement by Bishop McGrattan
- Visit the parish/shrine website at http://www.rockiesparish.com
CATHOLIC SPEED DATING
- For all Catholic Speed Dating event, please visit www.CatholicSpeedDating.ca or call Rose at 587-333-1099
CONSECRATION OF CANADA TO THE IMMACULATE HEART OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
Parishes are invited to hold a parish celebration on one or more Saturdays within the anniversary year (July 1 2017 to July 1 2018).
- Prayer templates, prayer card and catechetical materials are available on the Office of Liturgy website.
- For more information, please click here or Contact the Office of Liturgy at 403-218-5511 or 403-218-5524 - or email us at email@example.com