ROMAN CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF CALGARY
- Bishop McGrattan's Liturgical Calendar
- Diocesan Events and Registrations
- Diocesan Weekly Bulletin Insert
- Clergy Pastoral Assignment
- Click here for a list of Lenten Missions happening in the parishes throughout the Diocese of Calgary
- If you would like to share your parish lenten missions, please e-mail us the information.
Organizations which have applied to the Program (either by altering or modifying the problematic attestation, or submitting a paper application without checking the attention box) have begun receiving notification from Service Canada stating that their applications are deemed incomplete.
2018 LENTEN MESSAGE FROM BISHOP MCGRATTAN
The season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday as we gather to receive the “mark of ashes,” an exterior sign of our desire for interior change and renewal.
Friday, Feb 23, 2018 - day of prayer and fasting FOR PEACE
The Holy Father invites the whole Church to observe the Friday, Feb 23, as a day of prayer and fasting for peace in the many areas of conflict throughout the world, particularly the Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan. Initiatives may include: The Way of the Cross (adapted for Peace in Congo and South Sudan), Eucharistic Adoration and Prayer Service.
- You might find some resources that you can adapt at the Development and Peace website, such as their Way of the Cross, Prayers of the Faithful or Reflections: https://www.devp.org (under Resources / Together for Peace / Way of the Cross).
- More resources will be posted as soon as they are available.
World Youth Day in Panama 2019
Information on World Youth Day in Panama 2019 is available on www.wydcanada.org
- Please see Pilgrimage Package here.
- Contact your parish and/or parish youth ministry if you are interested to attend the World Youth Day. The minimum age of participants is 18 years old.
REJOICE IN GOD'S MERCY - CONFESSION AVAILABLE EVERY WEDNESDAYS IN LENT - FEB 21
The Diocese of Calgary invites you to experience the peace, love, and joy brought by participating in the sacrament of reconciliation. In addition to the regular parish schedule, the sacrament of Reconciliation will be available at parishes throughout the Diocese of Calgary all the Wednesdays of Lent from 7:30 – 8:30 pm.
EFFECTIVE CO-PARENTING: PUTTING KIDS FIRST - FEB 21
An educational 5-week program for separated and divorced parents to help raise their children through this difficult time and increase the understanding of needs of children for developing self-esteem and security. It will offer skills to help manage diverse shared parenting situations and provide strategies to improve communication, resolve conflict, and manage day-to-day issues between parenting partners. Parents are encouraged to attend separately. The next program will run 7:00pm - 9:00pm in the fall of 2017.
- For more information or registration, contact Alida Allen at 403-218-5505 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click here for online registration
- More information about Separation and Divorce Ministry.
lenten workshop on forgiveness - feb 24
The Diocesan Office of Religious Education invites you to a Lenten Workshop on Forgiveness. Embracing forgiveness brings peace – to your life, to those around you and to your community. Are you ready to choose forgiveness as a way of life? Come hear Fr. Peter Doherty, PhD speak on the topic of forgiveness on Saturday Feb. 24 from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm at the Catholic Pastoral Centre, 120 -17 Ave SW Calgary.
- To register call the Religious Education Office at 403-218-5501 or email: email@example.com
- Register online here
PROJECT RACHEL POST ABORTION WEEKEND RETREAT - FEB 23-24
The retreat offers a journey of healing and reconciliation for women and men who are suffering from a past abortion experience. Trained certified counselors are available to accompany people on a journey toward hope and inner peace. The next retreat is scheduled for February 23 - 24, 2018.
- For more information or to register call Project Rachel at 403-218-5506 or toll free at 1-877-597-3223. You may also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
COLDEST NIGHT OF THE YEAR - FEB 24
It's our fifth birthday! Coldest Night of the Year - Calgary will turn five this February 24, 2018. We'd love to have you celebrate with us by walking or volunteering in support of Feed the Hungry (a Diocesan program) and our friends KAIROS Calgary as they work to pay down the mortgage on Bankview Apartments (affordable housing). We'll be starting from Eau Claire Market again this year, offering 2, 5 and 10 km routes so the event is accessible for all.
- For more info visit www.cnoy.org/calgary or connect with Samantha at 403-218-5531 or e-mail email@example.com.
YOUNG WOMEN VOCATION EVENTS - FEB 24
Attention: Single Young Women between 16-35! The Vocation Committee of AWR (The Assembly of Women Religious) is planning two events:
- Saturday, Feb. 24 retreat on a Lenten theme. Beginning with 9 AM Mass at Holy Trinity Parish to 4 PM.
SPECIAL NEEDS MINISTRY AND MASS AT ST. PATRICK'S PARISH - FEB 25
A message from St. Patrick’s Parish, Calgary: We are forming a new ministry whose mission is: “To create a loving, supportive and compassionate church community that renews and restores faith and hope to families and children living with special needs.” We recognize that for families who have children who live with special needs: physical, cognitive or emotional, bringing them to Mass may be a challenge. Our Special Needs Mass will be a place of understanding, acceptance and welcome for those who live with special needs as well as those who care for them. This Mass will give families the opportunity to celebrate God's presence in their lives together. Children and adults with special needs will be filling as many liturgy positions as possible.
- Next Special Needs Ministry Mass on Sunday 5 PM: February 25, March 25, April 22, May 27 and June 24, 2018.
- For more information, please contact Brenda-Lee-Kearney at 403-835-2749 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Mother of the Redeemer Parish in Calgary will be hosting an Alzheimer Workshop on March 3, 2018 from 9 am - 2:30 pm. This workshop will provide participants with an understanding of Alzheimer's Disease and related dementias.
- Registration fee: $25, lunch included.
- For more information and to register please visit our News and Events page at www.calgarydiocese.ca or call 403-218-5501. Email: email@example.com
RETROUVAILLE CALGARY WEEKEND - MARCH 9
A Lifeline for Marriages. Along life’s journey, married couples may lose their way and start to grow apart. Retrouvaille provides a ‘road map’ to help couples find their way again by teaching communication skills and providing the tools to improve their relationships.
- Next weekend retreat is March 9.
- Call for help today, 403-879-7893, coordinator@RetrouvailleCalgary.com or visit: www.helpourmarriagecalgary.com
FAITH ENRICHMENT FOR SENIORS - MARCH 5
The Diocesan Religious Education Office will resume the Faith Enrichment for Seniors group on Mondays: March 5, March 12, March 19, March 26 at St. Joseph’s Parish from 1:00 pm to 3:00pm. No registration is necessary and all are welcome.
- For further information contact Norline at 403-218-5503 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention Catholic Men: You are called to be disciples of Jesus Christ who are filled with courage and conviction. Recognize God’s calling “for such a time as this” (Esther 4:14), and face the challenge against the Catholic Faith, Identity and Practice. Speakers: Fr. Raymond DeSouza, Fr. Cristino Bouvette and Fr. Jerome Lavigne. Join us at St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church on March 16 and 17.
- To register please visit: https://godsquad.ca/
SOLIDARITY VISIT - MARCH 9
- Medicine Hat - We have a solidarity visitor from Cambodia coming to our Diocese in March! Vansey Sao is coming to share about his work with the Indigenous Community Support Organization, a Development & Peace partner organization in Cambodia. Vansey is a wonderful witness of solidarity in action. Come and hear how dialogue plays a role in peacebuilding and how empowerment has enabled Indigenous peoples to influences changes in their communities. He will give a talk at Holy Family Parish, Medicine Hat on March 16, at 7:15 pm following Stations of the Cross and Soup and buns. More info: 403-218-5519 or e-mail email@example.com
- Calgary - To be updated.
St. Albert the Great Parish is celebrating its 20th anniversary as a parish, and 15th anniversary of the church building, with a special mass on Sunday March 18th at 11:00am. The mass will be celebrated by Bishop William McGrattan. Everyone is welcome to join us for this special occasion – especially former parishioners.
- For more information please call St. Albert the Great Parish at 403-257-6054 or visit their website.
Calgary Outdoor Way of the Cross - The ancient practice in a modern context - takes place at 9 am on Good Friday, March 30, 2018 at St Mary's Cathedral. Please visit the website http://www.wayofthecross.ca/ for more information.
- For more information, contact Linnea Ferguson or Marilou LeGeyt at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (403) 218-5519.
PLANNED GIVING SESSIONS - April 5
Be inspired to make a difference! Learn how to maximize your legacy for family and charity in your will. Join our upcoming Planned Giving Seminar:
- Next sessions dates:
- April 5, Catholic Pastoral Centre (120 - 17th Ave SW, Calgary). Register here.
- June 5, Holy Family Parish (1451 Strachan Road, SE, Medicine Hat). Register here.
- September 26, Catholic Pastoral Centre (120 - 17th Ave SW, Calgary). Register here.
- November 7, Catholic Pastoral Centre (120 - 17th Ave SW, Calgary). Register here.
- Contact Doreen (403) 218-5522 or email@example.com if you need more information.
YOUTH RALLY 2018: MiSSION POSSIBLE - April 21
Calling all youth ages 12 - 18 to the 2018 Youth Rally: Mission Possible! The Nun and Nunner will be there, along with Fr. Cristino Bouvette and Michael Chiasson! Guaranteed to be a fun and faith-filled event. Event will be hosted at the Catholic Central, High School East, Lethbridge.
- If you would like to attend, please register. Alternatively, you can also contact your parish priest, youth minister or Harriett at 403-218-5507.
- For more information, visit http://www.theyellowtree.ca/youth-rally.html
The Health Care Apostolate will be hosting the Spring Diocesan Pastoral Care Course Thursday evenings May 3 - June 14, 2018 from 6:30am - 9:30pm. The program will be held at St. Cecilia's Parish, 321 - 90 Ave SE. This course will introduce you to the basic visiting skills required for Pastoral Care Ministry in the health care facilities or parish. Registration fee: $50.
- For more information and to register, call: 403-218-5501 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
MARRIAGE PREPARATION "FOR BETTER & FOR EVER"
“For Better & For Ever…” Marriage Preparation, accepts all couples preparing for marriage. Due to the small group setting it allows us to focus on couples in one or more of the following circumstances: living together, previously married, beginning marriage with children, couples 45+, or those who wish to have their marriage blessed in the Church.
- For more dates, registration or information, contact 403-218-5505 or e-mail the LFRC Centre.
- Register Online Here
PROJECT RACHEL POST ABORTION COUNSELLING
The ministry offers a journey of healing and reconciliation for women and men who are suffering distress from a past abortion experience. Clients will be referred to a professional counselor who specializes in dealing with the trauma associated with this experience.
- For more information call Project Rachel at 403-218-5506 or toll free at 1-877-597-3223. You may also e-mail email@example.com.
- Go to Project Rachel's Website
OUR LADY OF THE ROCKIES - DIOCESAN MARIAN SHRINE
Our Lady of the Rockies Parish in Canmore is now designated as a Diocesan Marian Shrine. This will take effect on the day of the consecration of the new church building in the spring 2019.
- See video of the announcement by Bishop McGrattan
- Visit the parish/shrine website at http://www.rockiesparish.com
CATHOLIC SPEED DATING
- For all Catholic Speed Dating event, please visit www.CatholicSpeedDating.ca or call Rose at 587-333-1099
CONSECRATION OF CANADA TO THE IMMACULATE HEART OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
Parishes are invited to hold a parish celebration on one or more Saturdays within the anniversary year (July 1 2017 to July 1 2018).
- Prayer templates, prayer card and catechetical materials are available on the Office of Liturgy website.
- For more information, please click here or Contact the Office of Liturgy at 403-218-5511 or 403-218-5524 - or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CHARISMATIC RENEWAL IN CANADA
In 2018, we are marking the 50th anniversary of the Charismatic Renewal in Canada. Over these years, this movement of the Holy Spirit has left a discernible impression on the Church. As a Church, we give thanks to the Lord for the blessings of God which Catholic charismatics have brought our dioceses and parishes.
- Read the message from the Episcopal Commission for Doctrine of Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops for the 50th Anniversary of the Charismatic Renewal in Canada.
30TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE MORGENTALER DECISION
"Exactly thirty years ago, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that existing abortion provisions in our nation's Criminal Code violated a woman's Charter rights to the security of person and were thus unconstitutional... Over the course of the last decades, many of our fellow Christians, members of other faiths, and those of no faith at all, have worked tirelessly with members of our own communities to uphold the value of human life from the first moment of conception." ~ Bishop Lionel Gendron.
- Read the full statement by CCCB President Bishop Lionel Gendron, P.S.S., titled "The state has a legitimate interest in protecting the unborn; Statement on the 30th anniversary of the Morgentaler Decision"