With a decree dated 11 February 2018, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments implements the decision of Pope Francis, requiring that the Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of the Church be inscribed in the General Roman Calendar as an obligatory memorial to be celebrated annually on the Monday after Pentecost. In 2018 it will fall on Monday May 21.
From the Cross Jesus gave his Mother to the disciples and the disciples to his Mother. “This celebration will help us to remember that growth in the Christian life must be anchored to the Mystery of the Cross, to the oblation of Christ in the Eucharistic Banquet and to the Mother of the Redeemer and Mother of the Redeemed, the Virgin who makes her offering to God.” This devotion has the potential to encourage a better understanding of Mary’s presence in the mystery of Christ and of the Church and to foster a growth of genuine Marian piety.
- Obligatory Memorial – Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of the Church
- Monday after Pentecost – Monday May 21, 2018
- Mass – Roman Missal p. 1337 (Votive Mass Our Lady, Mother of the Church)
- Readings – Ritual Lectionary no. 1002.
- First reading: 1002(1) or 1002(2). Genesis 3.9-15,20 or Acts 1.12-14
- Psalm: 1002(3) Judith 13, 18bc, 19-20ab, R. 15.9d
- Gospel: 1002(5) John 19.25-27
- Colour – White