- Below is the list of diocesan liturgical calendar of Bishop William T. McGrattan. Unless otherwise noted, the liturgies or prayers are led by Bishop McGrattan. Note that the schedule is subject to change. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Liturgy at 403-218-5511 or 403-218-5524, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- January 18 - Week of Prayer of Christian Unity - Ambrose University at 11 AM.
- January 19 - School Blessing - Guardian Angels School (CCSD). Fr. Jerome Lavigne presiding.
- January 21 - Relic Pilgrimage of St. Francis Xavier - Mass and Sung Vespers at St. Albert the Great.
- January 22 - School Blessing - Apostles of Jesus (CCSD). Fr. Jerome Lavigne presiding.
- January 25 - School Blessing - Holy Child (CCSD). Fr. Jerome Lavigne presiding.
- January 25 - Week of Prayer of Christian Unity - St. Joseph's Church, Calgary at 7 PM. Fr. Yaroslaw Dziuba presiding.
- January 28 - Parish Closing - Our Lady of the Rockies, Canmore.
- February 17 - Rite of Election - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary at 7:30 PM
- February 18 - Mass for Mark Drapal's Admission to the Ministry of Acolyte, St. Cecilia, Calgary at 9 AM.
- February 18 - Rite of Election - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary at 3:30 PM
- February 20 - Faith Day - Christ the Redeemer School Disrict
- March 20 - 20th Anniversary of St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- March 24 - Mass for the Acies Legion of Mary - St. Patrick, Calgary
- March 25 - Palm Sunday Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 26 - Chrism Mass at 7:30 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 27 - Mass for Noli Timere Youth Group at St. Mary's University, Calgary
- March 29 - Holy Thursday at 7 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 30 - The Outdoor Way of the Cross at St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 30 - Good Friday at 3 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- March 31 - Easter Vigil at 8 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- April 1 - Easter Sunday at St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- April 3 - L'Arche Easter Prayer Service, Calgary
- April 4 - Mass at the Man of the Shroud Exhibition - St. Peter's Church, Calgary
- April 7 - Confirmation Mass - St. Augustine/St. Joseph (Taber/Vauxhall)
- April 8 - Divine Mercy Sunday Mass - Holy Spirit Parish, Calgary
- April 11 - Mass - St. Mary's University, Calgary
- April 12 - Institution of Acolyte for Permanent Deacons - St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- April 14 - Confirmation Mass - St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- April 14 - Confirmation Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- April 15 - Confirmation Mass - Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Calgary
- April 15 - Confirmation Mass - St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- April 17 - Confirmation Mass - Ascension, Calgary (at St. Luke's Calgary)
- April 20 - Confrmation Mass - St. Joseph's, Calgary
- April 21 - Confirmation Mass - St. Peter's, Calgary
- April 22 - Confirmation Mass - St. Mary's, Cochrane
- April 25 - Confirmation Mass - St. Bonaventure, Calgary
- April 27 - Confirmation Mass - All Saints Parish, Lethbridge
- April 28 - Confirmation Mass - Sacred Heart Parish, Strathmore
- April 28 - Confirmation Mass - St. Paul's, Airdrie & St. Agnes, Carstairs
- April 29 - Confirmation Mass - Sacred Heart, Calgary
- April 29 - Confirmation Mass - St. Thomas More, Calgary
- April 30 - Mass for CCSSA
- May 3 - Confirmation Mass - St. Pius X & Ascension Parishes, Calgary
- May 4 - Confirmation Mass - St. James, Okotoks
- May 5 - Cconfirmation Mass - St. Mary's Parish, Banff
- May 6 - Confirmation Mass - St. Cecilia, Calgary
- May 6 - Confirmation Mass - St. Michael's, Calgary
- May 8 - Confirmation Mass - Holy Trinity, Calgary
- May 10 - Confirmation Mass - Holy Spirit, Calgary
- May 11 - St. Mary's University Convocation - St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- May 11 - Confirmation Mass - Corpus Christi, Calgary
- May 12 - Confirmation Mass - St. James, Okotoks
- May 12 - Confirmation Mass - St. Vincent Liem, Calgary
- May 13 - Confirmation Mass - Immaculate Conception, Standoff
- May 13 - Confirmation Mass - St. Luke, Calgary
- May 18 - Confirmation Mass - St. Rita's, Rockyford
- May 19 - Confirmation Mass - St. Gabriel the Archangel, Chestermere
- May 20 - Confirmation Mass - Holy Family & St. Patrick Parishes, Medicine Hat
- May 25 - Bishop Kidd School's 50th Anniversary Mass, Calgary
- May 25 - Confirmation Mass - Mary, Mother of the Redeemer, Calgary
- May 26 - Confirmation Mass - St. Gerard, Calgary
- May 26 - Feed the Hungry Blessing - Feed the Hungry Garden in Glenmore, Calgary
- May 27 - Confirmation Mass - Our Lady of Fatima, Calgary
- May 27 - Confirmation Mass - Our Lady Queen of Peace, Calgary
- May 30 - Confirmation Mass - St. Mary's, Brooks
- May 31 - Confirmation Mass - Holy Name, Calgary
- June 1 - Provincial CWL Convention - St. James, Okotoks
- June 1 - Closing Mass for the Homeschool Community - St. Mary's Cathedral
- June 1 - Confirmation - St. Mark, Calgary
- June 2 - Confirmation - Our Lady of M. Bistrica, Calgary
- June 2 - Confirmation - St. Martha, Lethbridge
- June 10 - Renewal of Promises - Permanent Diaconate - St. Mary's Cathedral
- June 13 - Cemetery Mass - St. Mary's Cemetery, Calgary
- June 14 - Cemetery Mass - Holy Family Cemetery, Calgary
- June 16 - 100th Anniversary of St. Rita's, Rockyford
- June 17 - Confirmation - Canadian Martyrs, Calgary
- June 23 - Anniversary Mass of Mary, Mother of the Redeemer, Calgary
- June 24 - Mass & Picnic - St. Patrick's Parish, Medicine Hat
- June 26 - Mass for the Feast of St. Josemaria Escriva - Assumption Church, Calgary
- June 29 - Ordination of Derek Remus to the Priesthood at 7 PM - St. Mary's Cathedral
- June 30 - Opening Prayer and Blessing - Sandwich Foundation, Our Lady of Fatima, Calgary
- July 1 - Consecration of Canada (All Parishes)
- Aug 21 - Mass - Mount St. Francis
- Aug 22 - Cemetery Mass - Queen's Park Cemetery
- Aug 23 - Cemetery Mass - Mountain View Cemetery
- Aug 25 - Diaconate Ordination of Troy Nguyen - St. Vincent Liem's Calgary
- Aug 27 - Bishop's Golf Tournament for Feed the Hungary - Silvertip, Canmore
- Aug 28 - Opening Mass of Christ the Redeemer Catholic Schools in Okotoks.
- Aug 29 - Opening Mass of Holy Spirit Catholic Schools in Lethbridge.
- Aug 30 - Opening Mass of Calgary Catholic Schools District - Stampede Round Up Centre
- Aug 31 - Catholic Faith Day, Medicine Hat Catholic School Division
- Sep 1 - Mass at Divine Mercy Centre
- Sep 1 - Installation of Fr. Jerome Lavigne - St. Patrick's Calgary
- Sep 2 - Installation of Fr. Malcolm D'Souza - Our Lady of Assumption, Calgary
- Sep 8 - Installation of Fr. Salvador Ahumada - St. Peter's, Milk River
- Sep 9 - Installation of Fr. Raul Hernandez - St. Michael's, Bow Island
- Sep 9 - Installation of Fr. Jonathan Gibson - St. Peter's, Calgary
- Sep 12 - St. Mary's University Opening Mass - St. Mary's University, Calgary
- Sep 15 - Installation of Fr. Angelo D'Costa - Holy Trinity, Blairmore
- Sep 16 - Installation of Fr. Myles Gaffney - St. Michael's, Pincher Creek
- Sep 17 - Council of Catholic School Superintendent of Alberta Mass - Calgary
- Sep 22 - Installation of Fr. Andrew Maruszczak, St. Albert the Great, Calgary
- Sep 28/29 - One Rock, St. Michael's, Calgary
- Sep 29 - Fellowchip of Catholic Scholars Conference, Calgary
- Sep 30 - Installation of Fr. Philip Le - Christ the King, Claresholm
- Oct 10 - Red Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary.
- TBD - White Mass - St. Anthony, Calgary
- TBD - Blue Mass - St. Cecilia, Calgary
- Nov 1 - CCSD Faith Day - BMO Centre
- Nov 17 - Ordination to the Permanent Diaconate - 7:30 PM at St. Mary's Cathedral
- Nov 23 - Miscarriage Liturgy - 7 PM at Sacred Heart, Calgary
- TBD - KofC Memorial - St. Luke's, Calgary
- TBD - Red Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral, Calgary
- TBD - CWL 75th Anniversary - St. James, Okotoks
- Rejoice in God's Mercy - each Wednesday of Advent 2018
- Dec 5- StMUC Patron Day Mass - St. Mary's University
- Dec 24 - Christmas Mass - St. Mary's Cathedral
- Jan 13 - Migrant & Refugee Mass - Holy Spirit Parish (to be confirmed) and all parishes
- Rejoice in God's Mercy - each Wednesday of Lent 2018
- Mar 6 - Ash Wednesday - St. Mary's Cathedral
- Mar 9 - Rite of Election - St. Mary's Cathedral
- Mar 10 - Rite of Election - St. Mary's Cathedral
- TBD - StMUC end of term Mass - St. Mary's University
- Apr 15 - Chrism Mass - 7:30 PM St. Mary's Cathedral
- April 18- Holy Thursday - St. Mary's Cathedral
- April 19 - Good Friday - St. Mary's Cathedral
- April 20 - Easter Vigil - St. Mary's Cathedral
- April 21 - Easter Sunday - St. Mary's Cathedral
Bishop McGrattan consecrated the Diocese of Calgary to the Immaculate Heart of Mary on Saturday, July 1, 2017, with a celebration of Eucharist, Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and Rosary prayers.
The Diocese of Calgary thanks all the liturgical ministers involved and the staff at St. Mary's Cathedral for their assistance. A special thank you for God Squad Canada for preparing the delicious barbeque for everyone!
Created with flickr slideshow.
If the slideshow does not play in your browser, please view directly in the Flickr Photo Album here.
Photography: Victor Panlilio
As part of the celebrations marking the 150th anniversary of Confederation the Bishops of Canada will be consecrating our country to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Diocesan Prayer Service on July 1, 2017
- Parishes are also invited to hold a parish celebration on one or more Saturdays within the anniversary year (July 1 2017 – July 1 2018).
- Download Prayer Service Templates
- Download Rosary Intentions Booklet
- Catechetical Materials.
Bishop McGrattan consecrated the Diocese of Calgary on 1 July, 2017 (St. Mary’s Cathedral at 10am for a service of Adoration, Scripture, rosary, and the consecration followed by a BBQ).
All parishes in the diocese are invited to pray the consecration prayer at the Vigil Mass on Saturday July 1st. Click here to download the prayer.
The CCCB has provided catechetical materials. Check out resources here.
This year, the Church celebrates the centenary of the apparitions of Our Lady to the three children in Fatima, Portugal. According to the witnesses in 1917, Our Lady appeared to Jacinta, Francisco and Lucia on the 13th of each month, from May to October of the same year, except in August when she appeared on August 19. The Fatima Apparitions are special in that their universal message of salvation is strongly connected to the Gospel. The message of Our Lady of Fatima calls us to prayer, reparation, penance and sacrifice.
In his Introduction to The Message of Fatima published by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict XVI Emeritus) points out, “These manifestations can never contradict the content of faith, and must therefore have their focus in the core of Christ’s proclamation: the Father’s love which leads men and women to conversion and bestows the grace required to abandon oneself to him with filial devotion. This too is the message of Fatima which, with its urgent call to conversion and penance, draws us to the heart of the Gospel.” Cardinal Ratzinger also said that, “Fatima is undoubtedly the most prophetic of modern apparitions.”
By decree of the Bishop of Calgary and in honour of the Centennial Anniversary of Our Lady of Fatima, the faithful who visit Our Lady of Fatima Church in Calgary and who devotedly pray before the statue of Our Lady of Fatima, invoking her intercession from May 13, 2017 to December 31, 2017 will receive a partial indulgence provided that they are “baptized, not excommunicated, and in the state of grace at least at the end of the prescribed works” [CIC 996 §1].
By decree of Pope Francis, a plenary indulgence is also available to the faithful who meet the ordinary conditions — go to Confession and Communion, be interiorly detached from sin and in a state of grace, and pray for the intentions of the Holy Father — and “who visit with devotion an image of Our Lady of Fatima solemnly displayed for public veneration in any temple, oratory or adequate place, during the days of the anniversary of the apparitions (the 13th of each month from May to October 2017), and devotedly participate there in any celebration or prayer in honour of the Virgin Mary, pray the Our Father, recite the symbol of faith (Creed) and invoke Our Lady of Fatima” [ Jubilee Year of Fatima, Concession of Plenary Indulgence ].
The Church of Our Lady of Fatima will hold a mass and rosary the 13th day of each month at 6:30 p.m. After the mass and rosary, the chapel will be open for those desiring to further fulfill the conditions of the plenary indulgence.
An indulgence is a remission of sin before God of the temporal punishment due to sins whose guilt has already been forgiven. According to Saint John Paul II, through an indulgence, God grants the prayer of the Church that the temporal penalty for sin be remitted. By God’s grace, participation in a prayer or action that has an indulgence attached to it brings about restoration and reparation with God. “The Church has a treasury, then, which is ‘dispensed’ as it were through indulgences. This ‘distribution’ should not be understood as a sort of automatic transfer, as if we were speaking of ‘things’. It is instead the expression of the Church’s full confidence of being heard by the Father when, in view of Christ’s merits and, by his gift, she asks him to mitigate or cancel the painful aspect of punishment by fostering its medicinal aspect through other channels of Grace” [ St. John Paul II, General Audience, Wednesday, 29 September 1999, 4 ].
By celebrating the Centennial year of Fatima, we give thanks to God for all the blessings He spread over us. Our Lady of Fatima parish had its genesis in 1970. For many years Fr. Vozza of Holy Trinity Parish offered monthly masses for Calgary’s Portuguese Catholics. Then, Bishop O’Byrne appointed a priest to assist the Portuguese community. Fr. Franklin E. Trudeau was sent to Portugal to learn the language of the people. He was the first pastor of the Portuguese Catholic Mission and the masses were offered at the Croatian church. The mission continued to flourish in the 1980s, with St. John’s Parish extending assistance from 1979 to 1984 when the congregation acquired its own makeshift church. With the enthusiastic guidance of Fr. Valentino de Freitas, parish pastor from 1987 to 1995, the Portuguese community built Our Lady of Fatima Church. The Portuguese faithful of Our Lady of Fatima parish have kept the message of Fatima burning in their hearts and embodied in their worship since the earliest days. The event of Fatima has provided a spiritual compass that guides the faithful to Jesus through Mary.
(Our Lady of Fatima Church is open to the public from May 13 on every Tuesday 3:00 to 8:00 p.m., Wednesday 1:00 to 8:00 p.m., Friday 3:00 to 8:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Sunday 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for those desiring the obtain the above partial indulgence or simply to pray)
In the May 2017 edition of The Carillon, an icon of Our Lady of Fatima was featured on the front page. The painter, sacred art artist Vivian Imbruglia, offers us an explanation of the icon and its symbols. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
The Most Rev. William T. McGrattan, Bishop of the Diocese of Calgary, has issued a decree of partial indulgence to be granted during the Jubilee Year of Fatima.
The partial indulgence can be obtained by visiting the Our Lady of Fatima Parish at 4747 30 St. SE, between the dates of April 18, 2017 and December 31, 2017 (see visiting times below). Those who seek to obtain this partial indulgence must "devotedly pray before the statue of Our Lady of Fatima," invoking her intercession.
In addition, the faithful must be reminded, according to the Code of Canon Law, the following:
- "To be capable of gaining indulgences, a person must be baptized, not excommunicated, and in the state of grace at least at the end of the prescribed works" (Canon 996 § 1)
- "To gain indulgences, however, a capable subject must have at least the general intention of acquiring them and must fulfill the enjoined works in the established time and the proper method, according to the tenor of the grant" (§ 2)
In addition, the Holy Father Pope Francis has also granted a plenary indulgence which can be obtained throughout the Jubilee Year, which began on November 27, 2016 and ending on November 26, 2017.
This plenary indulgence is granted through the following:
- By making a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Fatime in Portugal, and "devotedly participate in a celebration or prayer in honor of the Virgin Mary." In addition, the individual must also pray the Our Father, recite the Creed, and invoke Our Lady of Fatima
- By visiting, with devotion, and praying before an image of Our Lady of Fatima that is displayed for public veneration, during the anniversary days of the apparitions (the 13th of each month from May to October 2017). In addition, the individual must "participate there in any celebration or prayer in honor of the Virgin Mary" and pray the Our Father, recite the Creed, and invoke Our Lady of Fatima
- For the elderly and infirm: praying before an image of Our Lady of Fatima and spiritually uniting to God, through the Blessed Mother, all their "prayers and pains, or the sacrifices of their own lives"
To obtain the plenary indulgence, the faithful must fulfill the ordinary conditions: go to Confession, receive Holy Communion, pray for the intentions of the Holy Father, and be truly repentant and have firm resolve to be detached from sin.
Click here to read Concession of Plenary Indulgence, issued from the Shrine of Fatima, in full.
Our Lady of Fatima Parish: Centennial Celebrations and Visiting Times
Address: 4747 30th St. SE. Visiting times are the following: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday (3PM - 8PM). Saturday (10AM - 6PM). Sunday (8AM - 2PM)
- Wednesday, May 10, 2017:
- 6:30 PM - Rosary Followed by Holy Mass
- 8:00 PM - All Generations Will Call Me Blessed: A concert in honor of Our Lady in 5 languages
- Thursday, May 11, 2017
- 6:30PM - Holy Mass
- 7:30 PM - The Rosary Rediscovered: Experience the beauty of the Rosary in its choral recitation, live classical harp music, and teachings by recent Popes
- Friday, May 12, 2017
- 6:30 PM - Rosary followed by Holy Mass
- 8:00 PM - Dramatic performance of the Fatima apparitions (English)
- Saturday, May 13, 2017
- 5:00 PM - Rosary
- 6:00 PM - Solemn Mass presided by Bishop McGrattan, followed by candlelight procession
- Sunday, May 14, 2017
- 12:00 PM - Holy Mass, folowwed by dramatic performance of the Fatima apparitions (Portuguese)