Articles

Parish Bulletin Insert

Spirituality of Stewardship: Three Day Lenten Mission

With Father Daryl Befort from Wichita, Kansas. The Lenten Mission will focus on a Threefold Call of Discipleship: Deny Yourself, Take up Your Cross and Follow Christ. Lenten Mission at All Saints Parish & St. Martha's Parish (355 Columbia Blvd W, Lethbridge) March 26 - 28, 2017. March 26, 2017 at 2:00pm to 3:30pm (Adoration and Confessions will be included) March 27, 2017 and March 28, 2017 at 6:30pm to 8:00pm (Adoration and Confessions will be included) Lenten Mission at St. Thomas More Parish (15 Templebow Road NE, Calgary) March 29 - 31, 2017. March 29, 2017 & March 30, 2017 at 6:30pm to 9:00pm (Holy Mass, Adoration and Confessions will be included). March 31, 2017 at 6:30pm to 9:00pm Day 3: Follow Christ (Stations of the Cross, Adoration and Confessions will be included). Contact: Eden D’Souza, Stewardship Coordinator at 403-218-5520 or stewardship@calgarydiocese.ca.

Youth Rally 2017

The Youth Office invites all youth ages 12 - 18 to participate in this year's Youth Rally on April 22, 2017 in St. James Parish in Okotoks. Come and join Michael Chiasson, Fr. Daniel Gurnick OFM and the Panic Squad for a day filled with music, awesome talks and great fun. For more information and to register please visit: www.theyellowtree.ca or ask your Youth Group Coordinator or your Parish Priest. Youth Rally Volunteers Needed: Volunteers for this year's Youth Rally are needed. If you are over 18 years of age and screened through your parish or the diocese, please consider volunteering on April 22nd at St. James Parish in Okotoks. For more information please contact Harriett in the Youth Office at 403-218-5507 or harriett.cariaga@calgarydiocese.ca

Development & Peace Retreat and Assembly

The woman Christ meets at the well is excluded from her community and lives her life on the margins. Too often, many people are excluded and unable to have a voice in political processes. Participation is an important teaching in Catholic Social Thought. Development and Peace has been working with the Congolese Catholic Church to encourage citizen participation and ensure a fair electoral process since the first democratic elections in the DRC in 2006. Go online to http://www.devp.org/en/50years to find out more or join us for the 2017 Development & Peace Retreat and Assembly on April 28-30, 2017 at the FCJ Centre, 219, 19 Avenue SW. Bishop McGrattan will give the opening address. Other speakers include Dr. Peter Baltutis, St. Mary's University and Lance Dixon, CCSD. To register, contact marilou.legeyt@calgarydiocese.ca.

Planned Giving Seminar Invitation

You are invited to learn how to minimize the impact the Canada Revenue Agency has on your family's net worth. You are welcome to join our upcoming Planting a Future Seminar at the Catholic Pastoral Centre 120 - 17 Ave SW Wednesday, April 5 – Registration 1:30, Presentation 2:00 - 3:30pm. Limited seating; registration required. Contact Doreen 403-218-5522 or charities@calgarydiocese.ca to register.

Diocesan Palliative Care Education Program

The Spring 2017 Diocesan Palliative Care Education Program Part 1 and Part 2 will take place at St. Bonaventure Parish, 1600 Acadia Drive SE, on April 28 & 29, and May 5 & 6, 2017. The Program is on the two Friday evenings and all day both Saturdays. Registration fee: $50. For more information or to register, please call 403- 218-5501, Email: healthcareprograms@calgarydiocese.ca, or online at www.calgarydiocese.ca.

Diocesan Pastoral Care Course

The Spring 2017 Diocesan Pastoral Care Training Program will begin on Thursday May 4, 2017 and run for 7 consecutive Thursday evenings from 6:30pm - 9:30pm until June 15, 2017. The program will be held at St. Bernadette's Parish, 7103 - 20A St. SE. This course will introduce you to the basic visiting skills required for Pastoral Care Ministry in the health care facilities or parish. Registration fee: $50. For more information and to register, call: 403-218-5501, Email: alicia.zubot@calgarydiocese.ca, or online at www.calgarydiocese.ca.

34th Annual Outdoor Way of the Cross

Volunteers needed

We need your help with this year's Outdoor Way of the Cross. We are especially in need of volunteers with First Aid or those interested in helping out with Lost Persons. Volunteers for these positions will need to have a security clearance, which we can help facilitate. If you are able to assist, please register at www.wayofthecross.ca. Any questions please contact marilou.legeyt@calgarydiocese.ca or call 403-218-5519.

Effective Co-Parenting

Putting Kids First

An educational 5-week program for separated and divorced parents to help raise their children through this difficult time and increase the understanding of needs of children for developing self- esteem and security. It will offer skills about managing diverse shared parenting situations and provide strategies for improving communication, resolving conflict, and managing day to day children’s issues between parenting partners. Parents are encouraged to attend separately. The next program will run 7:00pm - 9:00pm on Wednesdays, May 3-31. For more information or registration contact the Life & Family Resource Centre at 403-218-5505 or email lifeandfamily@calgarydiocese.ca.

Marriage Preparation

"For Better & For Ever"

“For Better & For Ever…” Marriage Preparation, accepts all couples preparing for marriage. Due to the small group setting it allows us to focus on couples in one or more of the following circumstances: living together, previously married, beginning marriage with children, couples 45+, or those who wish to have their marriage blessed in the Church. Upcoming Dates: April 10/28-29, May 15/June 9-10, June 5/23-24. For more dates, registration or information, contact 403-218-5505 or email lifeandfamily@calgarydiocese.ca

Project Rachel Post Abortion Counselling

The ministry offers a journey of healing and reconciliation for women and men who are suffering distress from a past abortion experience. Clients will be referred to a professional counselor who specializes in dealing with the trauma associated with this experience. For more information call Project Rachel at 403-218-5506 or toll free at 1-877-597-3223 or email: info@projectrachelsa.ca.

The Euthanasia Deception

Mr. Alex Schadenberg, International Chairman of the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition, will speak on “The Euthanasia Deception”. All welcome! A Free will offering will be accepted. Anything over and above expense coverage will go directly to the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition. Friday, March 31 at 8:00 pm: Holy Spirit Catholic Church, 10827 24th Street SW, Calgary Saturday, April 1 at 1:00 pm: St. Luke’s Catholic Church, 1566 Northmount Dr. NW, Calgary Saturday, April 1 at 7:00 pm: The Prince of Peace Lutheran Church 243209 Garden Rd NE, Calgary.

Employment OPPORTUNITY

Parish Communications Coordinator - 1 year Contract at St. Michael Parish in SW Calgary. Competition closes on April 7, 2017.

For more see the Diocesan website at http://www.calgarydiocese.ca/articles/employment-opportunities.html.

For more information about this publication email jane.ediau@calgarydiocese.ca or contact Jane-Rose Ediau or Carol Hollywood, Library & Archives, 403-218-5510; Fax: 403-264-0526 Address: Catholic Pastoral Centre, 120 - 17 Avenue SW, Calgary, AB, T2S 2T2

Related Offices Social Media & Website
Related Themes Newsletter

Spiritual Reading with Purpose

When was the last time you picked up some spiritual reading? I mean picked up a book? Do we still have the luxury of time for deep, thoughtful reading? And is there still a place for physical books when we spend so much of our time online? The Church has a clear idea about what spiritual reading is. Distinct in its subject matter and purpose, it is a seeking out of wisdom from trusted spiritual ancestors. Confined to the following sources we read with the purpose of growing in holiness:

  • Scriptures
  • Teachings of the Church
  • History of the Church
  • Lives and thoughts of saintly people
  • Reflections on any of the above

Is holiness unfashionable now? We are required to seek it, and the practice of spiritual reading is a proven method for absorbing spiritual advice from the greatest practitioners of our faith. Here is what we are striving for: “When I read holy books then the spirit and body are illumined and I become the temple of God and the harp of the Holy Spirit, played by divine powers through them I am corrected and through them I receive a kind of divine change and I am made into a different person” [St. Gregory the Theologian]. As St. Ambrose says of God, “we address him when we pray; we hear him when we read.”

The Catholic Pastoral Centre Library contains many treasures for spiritual reading. To engage with such books gladdens the heart and strengthens our faith. As part of the Catholic Pastoral Centre Open House on September 13, you have an opportunity to find some new guides among the books we will be offering at our Feed Your Faith Book Sale. The Library has downsized a little, although we are still very much in business with a strong and current collection of books, magazines and DVDs. We can now make available, for a small donation, many great books that are either duplicates or perhaps not best fitted for our collection. These include historical items and one or two from previous bishops’ collections. There are treasures to suit all tastes. Come and browse the tables and for a donation to our Feed the Hungry program feed your faith, or the spiritual life of a friend or family member!

Has “spiritual reading” become an old fashioned luxury without merit in the modern world? No, it is a requirement for us to seek God in whatever way we can. We need the strength and inspiration available to us through past and present spiritual masters through the written word.

And can we find these resources digitally? The Internet has enabled the spread of wonderful spiritual literature and that is to be praised. But is there a downside to the flickering digital screen. The sheer physicality of a book helps us remember and absorb the text from the geography of the page. Studies suggest that we learn better from a printed page and that reading is easier on the eye. We can pass on books and share them more easily, and digest their lessons best. They can become life companions.

Drop by for the Book Sale and Open House at the Catholic Pastoral Centre on September 13!

Related Offices Carillon Library
Related Themes Books Suggestion Catholic Faith Resources Theological Reflection

Suffering and Salvation in Ciudad Juarez

Book Review: Suffering + Salvation in Ciudad Juarez by Nancy Pineda-Madrid.

This book's starting point is stark and unusual for a library like ours. For the past 20 years or so there has a campaign of terror against poor women in the city of Ciudad Juarez in Mexico, just across the border from El Paso in Texas. The number of murdered and missing women runs into the thousands, bringing untold suffering to families, friends, and the whole society. How does a community cope with such individual and social suffering? And how can the often deeply Catholic families make sense of these events? How do they, and we, understand salvation in the light of this brutality?  

This work examines local devotional practices that form part of the response on behalf of those affected and it looks at it in the light of the theology of St Anselm of Canterbury (1033-1109). Anselm's work, Cor Deus Homo (Why God became Man), has been especially influential in forming the Christian view of salvation. Anselm theorized that God became a human and died to pay back what was due to the honour of God offended by sin. In reading Anselm in the light of the events in Ciudad Juarez the author argues that there is a need to reassess what salvation means; to look again at theological ideas that have long shaped our current views.

As the author states of the situation in Ciudad Juarez, 'this experience encourages us to realize that only some form of communion, or community, can possibly save us. It is a particular form of community that furthers salvation in history. And the church at its best, that is the church actively discerning the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, mediates the birth of this new community.' 

This is a challenging and thoughtful read, academic in tone, but infused with the urgency. 

To borrow the book from the CPC Library, email library@calgarydiocese.ca

Related Offices Social Justice Library
Related Themes Social Justice Christian Life Suffering

Historical Timeline

Historical Timeline of the Diocese of Calgary from November 1912-2010.

1912

  • On November 30th, St. Mary's becomes the Cathedral Church of the newly created Diocese of Calgary by the decree of Pope Pius X. Archbishop Legal is appointed Administrator until a new bishop is named. 
  • St. Benedict's parish in Calgary is established [it will become St. Joseph's in 1914].
  • Immaculate Conception (St. Mary's) at Champion is established. Will become a mission of Vulcan (1919), Picture Butte (1996) and Claresholm (1999).
  • Our Lady of Lourdes at Warner is established.
  • St. Isidore's at Allerston, a mission of St. Peter's, Milk River, is established.
  • St. Patrick's, Midnapore (now part of the city of Calgary), becomes a formal parish.
  • Immaculate Conception at Whitla, a mission of St. Michael's, Bow Island is established.
  • St. Mary's at Tide Lake, a mission of St. Patrick's, Medicine Hat, is established.

1913

  • The parishioners of St. Patrick's, Lethbridge, begin construction of a new church, not completed until 1952.
  • The Sarcee Reserve is served by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (O.M.I.) from Cluny.
  • The Oblates donate land and materials for the building of the Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Cross Hospital in Calgary.
  • Most Rev. John Thomas McNally, D.D., becomes the first bishop of the Diocese of Calgary.
  • Notable firsts in the Diocese of Calgary: First priest ordained for the Diocese (Fr. William Dargan), first priest ordained in the Diocese (Fr. William Bowlen), first Diocesan priest born in the Diocese (Fr. Albert Rouileau).

1914

  • St. Paul the Apostle, Youngstown, is established.
  • St. Cyril of Alexandria, Bellevue, is established (a new church building completed in 1915).
  • Sacred Heart, Oyen is established. In time serves missions of Bindloss, Cavendish, Buffalo, Acadia Valley, Empress and Youngstown.
  • St. Anthony of Padua, Drumheller, is established.

1915

  • Opening of the new church of St. Joseph's, Calgary.
  • St. Peter's, Milk River, is established.
  • St. Vincent de Paul's, Stavely, is established.
  • Oblates minister to St. Patrick's, Lethbridge, St. Michael's, Pincer Creek and on the Blood and Peigan Reserves.
  • Father A.J. Hetherington named pastor of Sacred Heart, Calgary, remains pastor until his death in 1963.

1916

  • First Mass celebrated at St. George's, Hanna. Hanna in time will serve missions in Sunnybrook (St. Timothy's), Youngstown (St. Paul's), and Delia (Holy Family). Hanna becomes part of the Diocese of Calgary in 1965.
  • Death of Fr. Albert Lacombe, O.M.I.

1917

  • St. Michael's, Bow Island, becomes a parish.
  • St. Columbanus, Bassano, is established.

1918

  • Sts. Peter and Paul, Acadia Valley is established.
  • St. Rita's, Rockyford, is established. Will serve as parish for mission of Sacred Heart, Rosebud.

1919

  • Bishop McNally's former quarters become St. Mary's College.
  • St. Joseph's, Coalhurst, is established.

1920

  • The newly completed St. Ann's, Blairmore, is blessed by Bishop McNally.

1921

  • St. Andrew's, Vulcan, is established.
  • The Ursuline Sisters, establish an independent Ursuline foundation in the city of Calgary.
  • St. Peter's, Milk River becomes a formal parish with missions in Coutts, Allerston and Warner.

1922

  • Holy Cross Hospital expands residence for student Nurses.

1923

  • The Calgary Ursuline Sisters open Villa Angela Convent.
  • Annunciation of the Virgin Mary, Redcliff, is established.

1924

  • Bishop McNally transferred to become bishop of the Diocese of Hamilton.
  • The Filles de Jesus in Pincher Creek establish St. Vincent's Hospital and continue to operate it until the provincial government takes over its operations in 1975.

1925

  • Most Rev. John T. Kidd, former rector of St. Augustine's Seminary, Toronto, becomes the second bishop of the Diocese of Calgary.
  • Infant Jesus, Empress, is established.
  • The Nicolet Grey Nuns open St. Mary's School, Cardston.

1926

  • The Oblates and the Government of Alberta establish a boarding school and St. Paul's chapel on Peigan Reserve at Brocket.
  • Bishop Kidd dedicates St. Theresa of the Child Jesus church at Hillcrest Mines, eventually closes in 1963.
  • St. Stanislas Kotska, Burmis, is blessed by Bishop Kidd, eventually closes in 1967.
  • St. Columbanus, Arrowwood, is established.
  • Immaculate Conception, Blood Reserve, is established.

1927

  • The first St. Mary's Boys School is built.
  • Most Holy Trinity, Calgary, is established.
  • New government built school at Brocket, served by Oblates and Grey Nuns.
  • Bishop Kidd says first Mass in St. Joseph's, Cowley. It will serve the missions of Burmis, Beaver Mines, Todd Creek, etc.
  • St. Gabriel's, Carbon, is established.
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Foremost, is established.
  • Sacred Heart of Jesus, Raymond, is established.
  • Blessing of St. Gabriel's, Etzikom, by Bishop Kidd.
  • Sacred Heart of Jesus, Patricia, is established. Will close in 1970.

1928

  • Sainte Famille, Calgary, is established to serve French Canadian community in Calgary.
  • St. Bernard's, Exshaw, is established.
  • St. Edmund of Canterbury, New Dayton, is established.
  • Two missions of Sacred Heart, Strathmore are established: St. Ann's, Hussar and St. Philip's, Carseland.

1929

  • Bishop Kidd invites the Sisters of St. Martha of Antigonish, Nova Scotia to establish hospitals in Lethbridge and Banff.
  • Ursuline Sisters establish a school and convent at Rockyford.
  • St. Michael the Archangel, Black Diamond, is established.
  • Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Waterton Lakes National Park, is established.

1930

  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help [St. Mary's], Brooks, is established.
  • Sisters of St. Martha staff Mineral Springs Hospital, Banff.
  • St. John the Evangelist, Calgary, is established.

1931

  • Bishop Kidd is transferred to become the bishop of the Diocese of London, Ontario.
  • Sisters of St. Martha open St. Michael's Hospital in Lethbridge.
  • St. Augustine's, Taber, established as an independent parish with missions at Retlaw, Vauxhall and Enchant.
  • Calgary's Hungarian Catholic community purchase the old Jewish Centre as a place of worship which will be blessed under the title St. Francis of Assisi and become a mission of St. Mary's Cathedral until 1952.

1932

  • Most Rev. Peter J. Monahan becomes the third bishop of the Diocese of Calgary.

1934

  • St. Mary's, Barons, is established.
  • St. Jude's, Tilley, a mission of St. Mary's, Brooks, is established.
  • St. Anthony of Padua's, Beaver Mines, is established.

1935

  • Bishop Monahan transferred to become Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Regina, and the Most Rev. Francis P. Carroll becomes the fourth bishop of the Diocese of Calgary.
  • St. Ambrose, Coaldale, is established, formally blessed by Bishop Carroll in 1944.

1936

  • Christ the King, Water Valley, is established.

1937

  • St. Joseph's, Magrath, is established.

1938

  • New church opened at Standoff, Blood Reserve, under the title of St. Catherine of Alexandria.

1939

  • Opening of the new church building of St. Anthony's, Drumheller.
  • Establishment of a convent for the Sisters of St. Martha at St. Ann's, Blairmore.

1941

  • Military Chaplains begin serving armed forces personnel at Suffield Experimental Station.

1944

  • St. James the Major, Rolling Hills, is established.
  • Sisters of Providence take over management of a crèche for orphans and home for unwed mothers in Calgary.

1945

  • Camp Cadicasu is established for the Calgary Diocese Camp Associates.
  • St. Catherine of Alexandria, Picture Butte, is established.
  • During World War II, the Redemptorists accept responsibility of parish at Claresholm, and its missions of Nanton, Stavely and Granum.

1948

  • Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, Bowness (now part of the city of Calgary), is established.

1949

  • The Franciscans establish a retreat centre in Cochrane, with care of the centre being entrusted to the Sisters of St. Elizabeth.
  • Fr. Peyton's Holy Rosary Crusade draws sixteen thousand people to converge at St. James Parish, Okotoks.

1950

  • St. Francis Xavier, Glenwood (near Blood Reserve), is established.
  • New St. Vincent hospital at Pincher Creek is established.
  • The Ursulines' open St. Joseph's Convent in Calgary.
  • In 1950s, priests of St. Anthony's, Drumheller, serve missions at Newcastle (St. Mary's), Nacmine (St. Philip Neri), Midlandvale (Holy Family), Munson (St. Patrick), Rosedale (St. Francis of Assisi), East Coulee (St. Stephen of Hungary), Wayne (Sacred Heart), Dorothy (Our Lady of Perpetual Help), and Carbon (St. Mary's).
  • New church building of St. Augustine's, Taber, blessed by Bishop Carroll.
  • Former RCAF mess hall becomes new church building of St. Michael's, Bow Island.

1951

  • New church building of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Waterton Lakes National Park dedicated and becomes mission of Pincher Creek.
  • Sisters of Saint Louis open residence in Calgary.
  • Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood establish themselves in Calgary and support themselves by doing church laundry and making altar breads.
  • St. Mary's/Immaculate Conception, Cluny, is established.
  • St. Theresa's, mission of St. Ann's, Calgary, is established.

1952

  • Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart open a home for the elderly in Medicine Hat.
  • St. Joseph's, Vauxhall, a mission of various parishes since 1910, established as a parish.
  • St. Mary's, Brooks, serves missions in Bassano, Patricia, Tilley, Lomond, Gem, Rainer and Rolling Hills.

1953

  • St. Anthony of Padua, Calgary, is established.
  • Sacred Heart, Carmangay, a mission of St. Joseph's, Coalhurst, is established.
  • Bishop Carroll blesses the new Sacred Heart Church in Strathmore.
  • St. Elizabeth of Hungary, Calgary, is established to serve Hungarian refugees who came to Calgary following the 1948 Soviet takeover of Hungary.

1954

  • Sacred Heart Parish, Calgary, is subdivided into Holy Name of Jesus parish, St. James Parish (1961) and St. Michael's (1958).
  • Our Lady of the Assumption, Lethbridge, is established.
  • St. Pius X, Calgary, is established.
  • Grey Nuns at the Blood Hospital end their service to this facility.
  • St. Edmund's chapel, Medicine Hat, established as a separate parish.

1955

  • Construction begins on the new St. Mary's Cathedral.
  • The Brothers of Lourdes come to the Diocese of Calgary to serve the large Dutch population that moved to Alberta in the 1950s.
  • The Pallotine Fathers arrive to care for recent German immigrants to the Diocese of Calgary.
  • Holy Family, Delia, is established.
  • Our Lady Queen of Poland, Calgary, is established.
  • Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Calgary, is established.

1956

  • Sisters of Providence open new crèche for physically challenged children in Calgary.
  • New church at Beiseker blessed by Bishop Carroll under the title of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
  • St. Claire of Assisi, Hays and the chapel at Travers become missions of St. Joseph's, Vauxhall.

1957

  • The new St. Mary's Cathedral open on the site of the original 1889 stone church bearing the same name.
  • The Assumption or Dormition of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Calgary, is established for the Ukrainian Catholic community of the city of Calgary.
  • The Basilian Fathers assume charge of Our Lady of the Assumption, Lethbridge and St. Francis High School.
  • The Society of Christ for Polish Immigrants acquires St. Stephen's Ukrainian Church and rededicated it as Our Lady Queen of Peace.
  • Establishment of Catholic Family Services in the Diocese of Calgary.

1958

  • New church building for St. Ann's, Calgary.
  • New church building for St. Theresa's, Calgary.
  • St. Michael's, Calgary, is established.
  • St. John Bosco, Bragg Creek, is established.
  • Franciscans establish a house in downtown Calgary and take charge of St. Francis of Assisi parish.

1959

  • St. Paul the Apostle, Calgary, opens as a subsidiary chapel of St. Joseph's, Calgary.
  • St. Gerard of Majella and St. John the Baptist, Calgary, are established.
  • St. Joseph's, Willardville, is established.
  • St. Leo the Great, Manyberries, is established.

1960

  • Immaculate Heart of Mary, at Moses Lake on Blood Reserve, is established.
  • The CCCB presents a brief to the Parliamentary Committee of Indian Affairs, advocating development of self-government for the First Nations Peoples.
  • Sacred Heart Church, mission of St. Michael's, Bow Island, closes.
  • Blessing of new church of St. Claire of Assisi, Hays, by Bishop Carroll.
  • St. Boniface, Calgary, is established.
  • Sisters of Saint Martha establish Family Service Bureau in Crowsnest Pass.

1961

  • St. James the Greater, Calgary, is established for the Altadore, Lincoln Park and Lakeview areas of Calgary.
  • Fr. Patrick O'Byrne, in conjunction with Jewish rabbis and clergy of Christian and non-Christian denominations establish the Calgary Welcome and Friendship Centre, known today as the Calgary Drop-in Centre.

1962

  • New church of Our Lady of Peace built on the Sarcee Reserve.
  • St. Mary's (Immaculate Conception), Medicine Hat, is established.
  • St. George's, Claresholm, is demolished and replaced with new Christ the King Church.
  • St. Bernadette's, Calgary, a mission of St. Ann's, Calgary, is established, becomes a parish in 1963 to serve the areas of Lynnwood, Millican, Valleyfield, Ogden, Crestwood and South Hill in Calgary.

1963

  • Rev. Martin Fox, OMI, becomes the first Treaty Indian ordained a priest in Alberta, and perhaps Canada.
  • Most Rev. Joseph L. Wilhelm becomes Auxiliary Bishop and Vicar General of the Diocese of Calgary, as well as pastor of St. Anthony's, Calgary, and the Diocesan representative at the 1963-65 sessions of the Second Vatican Council.
  • St. Cecilia's, Calgary, is established to serve the areas of Fairview South, Acadia, Willow Park and Maple Ridge in Calgary.
  • New church building of St. Francis Xavier, Crossfield, is blessed by Bishop Carroll.
  • New church buildings of St. Pius X and Most Holy Trinity, Calgary, blessed by Bishop Carroll.

1964

  • St. Clement's, Calgary, is established.
  • St. Luke's, Calgary, is established from territory formally belonging to St. Pius X, Calgary.
  • New church building of St. Agnes, Carstairs, is opened.
  • Sisters of St. Bendict open convent at St. Cecilia's, Calgary.
  • Basilians staff St. Pius X, Calgary and become chaplains at new University of Calgary.

1965

  • Rebuilding of Holy Cross Hospital
  • Lacombe Home sold to the FCJ and residence move into new modern facility.

1966

  • Bishop Wilhelm named Archbishop of Kingston, Ontario.
  • Former St. Andrew's Presbyterian church becomes St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church for Italian immigrants of Calgary.
  • Sisters of Saint Louis open second convent in Calgary.
  • St. Jane Frances de Chantal, Shaughnessy, closes.
  • Resignation of Bishop Carroll accepted by Pope Paul VI on December 28th.

1967

  • Bishop Carroll dies.
  • Most Rev. Francis Joseph Klein becomes fifth bishop of the Diocese of Calgary, but dies nine months after installation.
  • Rev. Paul O'Byrne becomes first chair of the newly instituted Senate of Priests.
  • Oblates relieved of pastoral obligations to Pincher Creek and its missions.
  • Sisters of the Holy Cross arrive in Calgary to work in new Religious Education Centre.
  • Canadian Bishops create Development and Peace charitable organization.
  • New church of St. Bernard's, Exshaw, is blessed.
  • Calgary's Croatian Community begins to meet for Mass at Sacred Heart Convent.

1968

  • Most Rev. Paul O'Byrne becomes sixth bishop of the Diocese of Calgary, and the first bishop in North America in recent times to be chosen after public consultation with the clergy of the Diocese.
  • Providence Child Development Society is formed.
  • Dominican Sisters of Poland arrive to work at Our Lady Queen of Peace, Calgary.
  • Completion of Corpus Christi, Calgary.
  • New Church dedicated for St. Luke's, Calgary
  • Catholic charismatic movement introduced to Calgary at St. Gerard's, Calgary.
  • Sisters of Providnce of Kingston arrive at St. Michael's Pincer Creek.
  • St. James, Okotoks, restored as parish with St. Michael's, Black Diamond, now as its mission.
  • Immaculate Conception, Whitla, closes.

1969

  • St. Stephen the Protomartyr, Calgary, established for Ukrainian Catholics in south Calgary.
  • Provinicial government purchases Holy Cross Hospital.
  • Grey Nuns withdraw from Brocket after 69 years of service.
  • Congregation of the Holy Spirit (Spiritans) arrive in Diocese to serve parishes in Raymond, Crowsnest Pass, Banff, Vulcan, Strathmore, Fort Macleod, Beiseker, Vauxhall and Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Calgary.
  • Formation of Diocesan Pastoral Council.
  • St. Ann's, St. Cyril's and Holy Spirit parishes amalgamated to form the Roman Catholic Parish of the Crowsnest Pass.
  • Canadian Martyrs, Calgary, is established.

1970

  • Sisters of Saint Martha open Martha Retreat Centre in Lethbridge.
  • New church building of Holy Angels, Coutts, is blessed.
  • The former Queen of Poland Church becomes home of Croatian Catholics in Calgary.

1971

  • Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood build a new monastery in Calgary.
  • Ursuline Sisters of Prelate, Saskatchewan arrive in Diocese to establish a house in Medicine Hat.
  • Cursilio Movement introduced to Diocese.

1972

  • Establishment of Social Justice Offices in the Diocese of Calgary
  • St. Paul the Apostle, is formally established as a parish.
  • At Standoff, Bishop O'Byrne is named Sitting Above, honorary Chief of the Kainai Nation; blesses new White Calf Hall in honor of an assistant of Chief Red Crow.
  • New church of St. Michael's, Bow Island, is opened.

1973

  • Old St. Mary's Church, Acadia Valley, hosts its final Mass.
  • St. Mark's in Marlborough, Calgary established in a succession of various locations.

1974

  • Sisters of Social Service begin ministry at St. Elizabeth of Hungary, Calgary.
  • The Diocese of Calgary and the Mission Council establish a partnership with the Diocese of Chikwawa, Malawi. Bishop O'Byrne invites the Spirtans to go to Malawi; help to create a Lay Spirtan Association to enable lay people to share in the Spirtans' work for the poor.
  • Fr. Patrick O'Byrne receives honorary degree from the University of Calgary for service to his community and province as a committed ecumenist.
  • A segment of St. Gerard's Parish, Calgary becomes Holy Spirit faith community for Braeside, Palliser, Bayview and Oakridge.
  • St. Bonaventure, Calgary becomes an independent parish.

1975

  • Sisters of the Holy Cross enter into service on the Diocesan Mission Council, Father Latour Native Pastoral Centre, Pare Labrecque Society and in Catholic Schools.

1976

  • The Diocese of Calgary designates the Korean Catholic Community as a formal parish dedicated to St. Andrew Kim.

1977

  • St. Peter's is established for the Ranchlands and Silver Springs areas of Calgary.
  • The completed St. Mark's and Holy Spirit churches, Calgary, dedicated.

1978

  • The Sisters of Social Service begin working in Calgary parishes of Sacred Heart, Holy Name, St. Mary's Cathedral and St. Bonaventure.
  • The Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul (Kingston) open Immaculate Heart Prayer Centre in Calgary.
  • St. Thomas Aquinas, Wrentham and St. Cyril and St. Methodius, Cranford, closes.

1979

  • The Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul open Kermaria Retreat Centre
  • St. Thomas More parish formally erected to serve Whitehorn, Temple and Falconridge subdivisions of Calgary.

1980

  • The FCJ Christian Life Centre opens.
  • The Filles de Jesus close house in Pincher Creek and move to Calgary for pastoral work at St. Thomas More, St. Patrick's and Lacombe Nursing Home.
  • The Congregation of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary begin to engage in various pastoral ministries in the city of Calgary.
  • The Calgary Immigration Society opens Cabrini House to provide temporary hosuing to immigrants and refugees.
  • Youngstown is returned to pastoral care of Hanna and St. Mary's, Brooks take care of that portion of St. George's, Hanna, south of Pollockville.
  • St. Luke's, Calgary, forms a Social Justice Ministry to help bring Vietnamese ""boat people"" to Canada.

1981

  • The Missionaries of St. Charles (Scalabrini Fathers) are invited to minister to the Italian Community of St. Andrew's, Calgary.
  • Formation of a Diocesan committee to prepare a proposal for an affiliated Catholic College at the University of Calgary.
  • The Diocese of Calgary joins with the Evangelical Lutheran Church to establish Sandstone Ecumenical Centre, housing both the Catholic parish of the Ascension and the Lutheran Congregation of the Redeemer.
  • Holy Redeemer, Calgary, is established for the Dover, Doverglen and Erinwoods areas of Calgary.
  • New church built in Brocket.
  • Restoration of Fr. Lacombe's Heritage by the Pincher Creek Knights of Columbus.
  • Formation of the first Chinese Catholic community in Calgary.
  • Bishop O'Byrne and Cardinal Seper bless a new Church, Our Lady of Mount Bistrica, for the Croatian Catholic community in Deer Ridge area of Calgary.

1982

  • Bishop O'Byrne invites the Dominicans (St. Vincent Liem's Dominican Vicariate) to establish a house and a Southeast Asian congregation at St. Ann's, Calgary.
  • Work begins on new St. Patrick's Church on Shawnessy Boulevard, Calgary.
  • Formation of Diocesan Social Justice Commission.
  • St. Michael's, Bow Island and Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Foremost, amalgamate.
  • First Mass of the new Ascension Parish, Calgary in gymnasium of St. Bede's School.
  • The new church for St. Bonaventure's, Calgary, opens.

1983

  • First outdoor Way of the Cross takes place in Calgary.
  • The Council of Social Affairs opens a Food Bank.
  • Bishop O'Byrne establishes a Diocesan Life Commission to provide advice on life issues and organize an annual Respect Life Sunday.
  • New church at St. James, Okotoks, opens.

1984

  • The Grey Nuns open the Youville Memorial Residence for women in south-east Calgary.
  • St. Andrew's and St. Clement's parishes in Calgary merge to become Our Lady of Grace Italian and English Church.
  • Pope John Paul II spends 12 days in Canada and lends support to social justice issues of the Diocese of Calgary.
  • A new church resembling the Barque of Peter becomes the new home for St. Peter's, Calgary which now serves the areas of Hawkwood, Scenic Acres, Citadel, Arbour Lake, Tuscany, Royal Oak and Rocky Ridge.
  • Our Lady of Fatima Church is blessed for the Portuguese Catholic community in Calgary.

1985

  • St. Martha's Church is established in West Lethbridge.
  • The Vietnamese Catholic community of Calgary move into the former Italian parish of St. Andrew's, Calgary, and rename it Blessed Vincent Liem.
  • The centennial celebration of the Calgary Separate School District.
  • St. Paul's, Airdire, opens a new church.
  • The churches of St. Thomas More and Holy Redeemer, Calgary, are formally blessed.

1986

  • The St. Mary's College Act is passed by the Alberta Legislature and given royal assent on September 18th.
  • The Catholic Charismatic Renewal Society opens a Renewal Centre.

1987

  • The Providence Prayer and Hospitality House opens.
  • The Sister Announcers of the Lord respond to an invitation from Calgary's Chinese community and establish a house. Bishop Dominic Tang of Canton, China, blesses the convent and the Little Flower Day Home to care for ethnic Chinese families.
  • St. Philip's, Carseland, closes.

1988

  • The Filles de Jesus begin pastoral care in Carstairs.
  • Holy Spirit, Calgary, blesses a new church.

1989

  • Bishop O'Byrne, finding the United Way to be in conflict with Catholic values, withdraws Diocese for its annual campaign. This leads to the creation of Catholic Charities.
  • The Franciscans relinquish St. Francis Parish, Calgary to the care of the Vietnamese Dominican Fathers.

1990

  • The Family Resource Centre begins offering Retrouvaille weekends to heal and renew troubled marriages.
  • Each Sunday St. Mary's Cathedral parish hall serves meals to hundreds of Calgary's homeless, as well as serving as a facility for Catholic Charities' ""Community Kitchen"" for single parents, disabled peoples and seniors who live alone.
  • The last Ursuline Sister leaves Drumheller.
  • Bishop O'Byrne convokes the Diocese's first Synod. More than 3000 adults and some 600 youth participate to address issues of personal faith, the family, the parish, the Diocese, the universal Church, education and youth.

1991

  • The president of the Oblate Conference of Canada apologizes to the Native community for damage caused in Residential Schools and pain caused by the actions of some priest in the past.
  • The Board of Governors of St. Mary's College establishes an office in Calgary.
  • More than 200 Catholics in Calgary petition the Bishop to authorize the celebration of the Tridentine Mass (now known as the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite) in Calgary. The Bishop authorizes a monthly celebration at St. Ann's in Calgary.
  • Sacred Heart mission in Brant closes.
  • St. Anthony's, Granlea, closes after it was looted by vandals.

1992

  • St. Ann's, Hussar becomes a mission of Strathmore.
  • St. Joseph's, Magrath, celebrates its Mass of Closure.

1993

  • St. Mary's College appoints Dr. John Thompson, president of St. Thomas More College, Saskatoon, as Acting President with Yolande Gagnon as Chair of the Board of Governors.
  • The Diocese of Calgary launches an Annual Bishop's appeal to raise funds to support Catholic Charities and other causes.
  • Regular celebration of the Tridentine Mass/Extraordinary form of the Roman Rite at St. Anthony's, Calgary.
  • Fire devastates St. Peter's in Milk River. The newly rebuilt church features a stained glass image of Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha.
  • Plans begin for a new church in Medicine Hat that will incorporate Christ the King, St. Mary's and St. Paul's in Medicine Hat as well as St. Joseph's, Schuler.

1994

Related Offices Archives Bishop's Carillon Diocesan Curia
Related Themes Diocesan Event Diocesan History Parish Life

Believing in the Resurrection

Believing in the Resurrection: the Meaning and Promise of the Risen Jesus by Gerald O'Collins (New York: Paulist Press, 2012).

~ a mini-review.

Library reference: 232.5 OCO B4 

altWhen we state that we believe in the resurrection what do we mean? And what are the implications of this belief? Fr. Gerald O'Collins, SJ is a leading scholar in the area of resurrection studies. Through a close reading of the key Biblical texts he guides us into an understanding of how the resurrection informs the sacramental and moral theology of the Church, and can and should completely change our lives.

To borrow this book from the Library at the Catholic Pastoral Centre please email: library@calgarydiocese.ca or call 403-218-5510.If you would like to see what else we have browse our online catalogue at Koha Library.. You do not need a membership to search the catalogue - just use the search bar at the top of the web page.

Related Offices Library
Related Themes Easter Resources

Article Filters

Associated Office:
Associated Program:
Associated Theme:

Looking for a Parish or Mass and Reconciliation Times?

Search the Parish Finder
Login