WORKSHOP FEEDBACK PLEASE
Please give us your feedback and help us make better decisions for future workshops.
- ONLINE EVALUATION SURVEY
BREAKOUT SESSIONS RESOURCES
- Writing for Social Media - Prezi (Lincoln Ho)
DIOCESE OF CALGARY RESOURCES
- Diocesan Social Media Policy (Coming Soon)
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
If we could be helpful in any way, or if you have any questions, please contact Lia O’Hara at lia.ohara@calgarydiocese or call 403-218-5511.
INVITATION FOR THE 2017 PARISH COMMUNICATIONS WORKSHOP
Communication is a means of expressing the missionary vocation of the entire Church; today the social networks are one way to experience this call to discover the beauty of faith, the beauty of encountering Christ. In the area of communications, too, we need a Church capable of bringing warmth and of stirring hearts. (Pope Francis, 48th World Communications Day, 2014)
We invited you to come to the 2017 Parish Communication Workshop exclusively for clergy, parish and religious communities staff or volunteers responsible for both offline and online communication. This year’s focus will be on social media as it has fundamentally changed how people communicate nowadays. As Catholics, we need to bring the Church’s teachings into what Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI called the “digital continent.”
Our guest speaker this year are Fr. Thomas Rosica, the CEO of Salt & Light TV and Lincoln Ho (Social Media specialist from Archdiocese of Edmonton).
- Date: Monday, November 13, 2017 | From 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
At the Catholic Pastoral Centre (120-17th Ave SW, Calgary)
- Parking: Please park at the FCJ Centre parkade (219-19th Ave SW) or St. Mary's Cathedral Parkade.
- Note that schedule is subject to change without notice.
- 08:00 - 09:00 Registration
09:00 - 09:30 Prayer & Greetings (Bishop William McGrattan)
09:30 - 10:15 Keynote address (Fr. Thomas Rosica)
10:30 - 11:15 The Epic Guide to Social Media 101 (Lincoln Ho)
11:30 - 12:15 Breakout Sessions A, B, C, D (see below)
12:15 - 13:15 Lunch
13:15 - 14:00 Breakout Sessions A, B, C, D (see below)
14:15 - 15:30 Putting into Practice
15:30 - 16:00 Intro to Diocesan Best Practices
- Keynote address: COMMUNICATIONS AND MERCY (Fr. Thomas Rosica)
Be inspired by Pope Francis, who yearns for the church to be an instrument of reconciliation and welcome, a church capable of warming hearts, a church that is not bent over on herself but always seeking those on the periphery and those who are lost, a church capable of leading people home. Pope Francis has indeed rebranded Catholicsm. How do we follow in his footsteps?
- General Session: THE EPIC GUIDE TO SOCIAL MEDIA 101 (Lincoln Ho)
In the beginning, it was just 1s and 0s. Today social media is a sensory overload. How to be salt and light in a world that's overflowing with bursts of flavour.
- Breakout Sessions:
- 1. OVER HERE!! I’M WRITING IN BOLD!!: Writing for Social Media (Lincoln Ho)
The digital revolution has created a sense of fear to text posts, blogs, and traditional journalism. When text is the least popular medium, how do we create content to draw the audience to the ultimate Word?
- 2. MAKE IMPRESSIONS MEMORABLE: Branding and Consistencies (Fr. Wilbert Chin Jon)
What is your parish all about, and why is that a big deal? How are you different from the rest? How will you show this on social media every time, and at a glance? How do you make impressions memorable? It’s all about branding! Know who you are and flaunt it. Learn how.
- 3. SOCIAL MEDIA VIDEO ON A BUDGET: Videography Tools for a Beginner (Ryan Factura)
Video is the king of content on social media. As a parish, how are you able to jump on this trend without having expensive camera equipment? In this workshop, we'll show you how you can get started with social video using the camera you already have in your hand: your smartphone!
- 4. NO PHOTOSHOP, NO PROBLEM: Graphic Tools for Parish Communication (Lia O'Hara)
Not a graphic designer? No access to Photoshop? No problem! The internet comes to the rescue. Learn how to make great looking posters, bulletin and social media graphics in a matter of minutes. Get to know easy-to-use graphical tools online and other resources that will help you deliver quality imagery while saving time and money.
- This workshop is only available for Parish Staff, Communications staff and/or volunteers, and those who are currently managing the bulletin and/or their parish online presence.
- Limit to only 4 participants per parish. Limited seats.
- Please register each person separately. Choose one AM breakout session and one PM breakout session.
- Lunch will be provided. If you have strict dietary restrictions, kindly bring your bagged lunch from home.