The following resources are made available by the Business Office for the care and maintenance of diocesan properties and infrastructure. If you need more information, contact Alejandro Henao at email@example.com, or at 403-218-5545.
The Most Rev. William T. McGrattan, Bishop of the Diocese of Calgary, has issued a decree of partial indulgence to be granted during the Jubilee Year of Fatima.
The partial indulgence can be obtained by visiting the Our Lady of Fatima Parish at 4747 30 St. SE, between the dates of April 18, 2017 and December 31, 2017 (see visiting times below). Those who seek to obtain this partial indulgence must "devotedly pray before the statue of Our Lady of Fatima," invoking her intercession.
In addition, the faithful must be reminded, according to the Code of Canon Law, the following:
- "To be capable of gaining indulgences, a person must be baptized, not excommunicated, and in the state of grace at least at the end of the prescribed works" (Canon 996 § 1)
- "To gain indulgences, however, a capable subject must have at least the general intention of acquiring them and must fulfill the enjoined works in the established time and the proper method, according to the tenor of the grant" (§ 2)
In addition, the Holy Father Pope Francis has also granted a plenary indulgence which can be obtained throughout the Jubilee Year, which began on November 27, 2016 and ending on November 26, 2017.
This plenary indulgence is granted through the following:
- By making a pilgrimage to the Shrine of Fatime in Portugal, and "devotedly participate in a celebration or prayer in honor of the Virgin Mary." In addition, the individual must also pray the Our Father, recite the Creed, and invoke Our Lady of Fatima
- By visiting, with devotion, and praying before an image of Our Lady of Fatima that is displayed for public veneration, during the anniversary days of the apparitions (the 13th of each month from May to October 2017). In addition, the individual must "participate there in any celebration or prayer in honor of the Virgin Mary" and pray the Our Father, recite the Creed, and invoke Our Lady of Fatima
- For the elderly and infirm: praying before an image of Our Lady of Fatima and spiritually uniting to God, through the Blessed Mother, all their "prayers and pains, or the sacrifices of their own lives"
To obtain the plenary indulgence, the faithful must fulfill the ordinary conditions: go to Confession, receive Holy Communion, pray for the intentions of the Holy Father, and be truly repentant and have firm resolve to be detached from sin.
Click here to read Concession of Plenary Indulgence, issued from the Shrine of Fatima, in full.
Our Lady of Fatima Parish: Centennial Celebrations and Visiting Times
Address: 4747 30th St. SE. Visiting times are the following: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday (3PM - 8PM). Saturday (10AM - 6PM). Sunday (8AM - 2PM)
- Wednesday, May 10, 2017:
- 6:30 PM - Rosary Followed by Holy Mass
- 8:00 PM - All Generations Will Call Me Blessed: A concert in honor of Our Lady in 5 languages
- Thursday, May 11, 2017
- 6:30PM - Holy Mass
- 7:30 PM - The Rosary Rediscovered: Experience the beauty of the Rosary in its choral recitation, live classical harp music, and teachings by recent Popes
- Friday, May 12, 2017
- 6:30 PM - Rosary followed by Holy Mass
- 8:00 PM - Dramatic performance of the Fatima apparitions (English)
- Saturday, May 13, 2017
- 5:00 PM - Rosary
- 6:00 PM - Solemn Mass presided by Bishop McGrattan, followed by candlelight procession
- Sunday, May 14, 2017
- 12:00 PM - Holy Mass, folowwed by dramatic performance of the Fatima apparitions (Portuguese)
This Certificate Program is designed to give lay people the necessary Catechetical background in order to feel more confident in the following areas of Parish Ministry:
- Sacramental Preparation
- Youth Ministry
- Parish-based Catechesis
This program, offered in three levels covering various topics, is also invaluable to anyone seeking to know more about their Catholic Faith.
Course Registration Fee is $100 for each Level.
Location: Holy Spirit Parish, 10827 24 St. SW, Calgary, AB T2W 2Z2
For more information and to register, please call 403-218-5501, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catechetical Certificate Program
Topic Order is subject to change
- World Day for Catechists Mass and Presentation with Michael Chiasson: Sept. 24
- Scriptural Foundations (Hebrew Scriptures) : Oct. 1
- Scriptural Foundations (New Testament): Oct. 15
- General Directory for Catechesis: Oct. 29
- How to be and Effective Catechist: Nov. 5
- Prayer and Spirituality: Nov. 26
- Scriptural Foundations (Old Testament) Jan. 14
- Scriptural Foundations (New Testament) Jan. 28
- Sacramental Life of the Church Feb. 11
- Prayer & Spirituality Feb. 25
- Vatican II Mar. 11
- Sacraments Mar. 18
- Adult and Child Learning and Development April 8
- Scriptural Foundations (Hebrew Scriptures) April 22
- Liturgy May 6
- RCIA and Catechesis May 13
- Scriptural Foundations (New Testament) May 27
- Social Justice June 3
- Bonus Session (Topic TBA) June 17
The Diocesan Finance Council (DFC) in the Diocese of Calgary exists to offer assistance and guidance to the Bishop in the administration of the temporal goods of the Diocese. In accordance with the Canon Law of the Roman Catholic Church, Canon 492 requires the Bishop to establish a finance council.
Click here to access the Finance Council Policy.
Spirituality of Stewardship: Lenten Mission
During Lent of 2017, the Office of Stewardship presented Spirituality of Stewardship, a three-day Lenten Mission in the Diocese with Fr. Daryl Befort from Wichita, Kansas. The Lenten Mission focused on a threefold Call of Discipleship: Deny Youreslf, Take up Your Cross, and Follow Christ.
The True Meaning of Being a Steward of Christ
Catholic speaker, author, and stewardship coach Tracy Earl Welliver explains how we do not merely volunteer for Christ when we serve Him in different parish ministries, but that we give our lives to Christ by serving in the Church because we truly love Him. This talk series is entitled "The True Meaning of Being a Steward of Christ", conducted in the Diocese of Calgary on September 2016.
This resource contains discussion questions that can be used in small group study. The document helps individuals grasp with the heart the meaning of stewardship. I recommend that parish councils and stewardship committees (also prayer groups in the parish) work through the text once a week for 5 weeks with a 6th week for making an action plan. The stewardship office has hard copies available for $10.
Deus caritas est (God is Love). Pope Benedict XVI's first encyclical.
The theology and principles in this resource are a wonderful formation tool for stewardship spirituality. Part one offers a speculative reflection on love. Part two is a reflection on the meaning of charitable giving. The Stewardship Office has hard copies available for $5.
Exploring Deus Caritas Est
Exploring Deus Caritas Est is a 4-part process for small groups. Written by Anthony Garascia and published by Ave Maria Press, the study guides are available as free downloads. They are also included here for easy access by your parish groups:
- Deus Caritas Session One
- Deus Caritas Session Two
- Deus Caritas Session Three
- Deus Caritas Session Four
Stewardship: 'Well done, good and faithful servant.'
A Pastoral Letter by Thomas Collins, Archbishop of Edmonton
This document is shorter than Disciple's Response but still offers some discussion questions at the end. It is a very good resource and introduction to stewardship. The stewardship office has hard copies available for $0.50 a piece.
- Pastoral Letter: "Well done, good and faithful servant."
Stewardship and Teens
Cardinal Mahoney, Archbishop of Los Angeles
The Little Burgundy Book: Six Minute Reflections.
The diocese of Saginaw, Michigan has published three out of four of these books, one for each Gospel, based upon the writings of the late bishop, Ken Untener. So far, they have Mark, Luke, and John available. Those who have used these books find them invaluable and an easy but significant way of bringing stewardship into the prayer-life of busy people.
There are a few copies available in the diocesan stewardship office.
Pray Always and Never Lose Heart: A Treasury of Private Prayers for the Christian Steward
National Catholic Stewardship Council, Inc. 1998.
This collection of private prayers is available at the Resource Centre library.
Copies are available for purchase at the stewardship office ($15).
Stewardship: Disciples Respond. A Practical Guide for Pastoral Leaders.
Catholic Stewardship Council, Inc. 1997, 2004.
This book is filled with ideas for implementing stewardship practices in your parish.
It is available at the Resource Centre library. Copies for purchase are available at the stewardship office ($10).